Tuesday, December 22, 2009

the congregation

"The Congregation" is a shot I'd been itching to get for months now. I'd seen these pigeons on this same overpass time and time again and always thought it'd be a great, humorous take on the stereotypical church ladies. But once I had the shot in mind either my timing was off, when I'd drive by they weren't there, or worse-I had failed to pack my camera for the day and so I'd pass up my opportunity, not a camera on me, cursing myself the whole way. This morning, I made sure to pack my camera in my car for this very purpose and whaddaya know, there they were, perched and ready to be preached to.
It's been a typical overcast, winter day, so I didn't have any sun to deal with, but still the sky is lackluster just the same, not even giving me good storm clouds to photograph. So, I did my artsy thing with photoshop, adding the vignette, and words, and the sepia tone until I thought it reached the proper balance of serious, religious undertone offsetting a group of gossipy pigeons on their 'pew' awaiting their pastor. It was well worth the wait.This next shot was just a different angle, and sort of lets you see the color and the lighting before I added all my 'magic'. It didn't work for the picture I had in mind, but gives you a better idea of all the birds that were on that ledge. There's just as many opposite them if I had panned to the right and took a shot as well. More to come.

1 comment:

carrie said...

brandon!! be careful up there!!!!

geez