Monday, October 24, 2011

pumpkins-autumn's new mascot

I understand. I do. Pumpkins do seem like hosts ushering us into the Autumn season what with them representing Halloween and all with their carved decor garnishing door ways and front porches and wicker baskets etc. It is only natural for us to begin the season with a little pumpkin on our stoop. I assume we bought it at the market with plans to later kill it-as Linus would cry-and carve it, and put it out front as part of the most un-sacred events of the year. In recent years though, pumpkins have become the cool kids on campus. Women's magazine's galore have infinite creative and crafty ways to dress and decorate your pumpkin that will make your neighbors green with envy. Even my local newspaper had a pumpkin carving contest where one had to represent one of the seven deadly sins on the face of a pumpkin. Even our food, deserts, and coffee are pumpkin spiced; you can purchase pumpkin lights; and one can even dress as one for the costume party. For me though, the fad has passed, and although pumpkin spice has captured my taste buds with the rest of America, shouldn't the food gods be a little food-forward hunting down the next awesome flavor to usher in the season. Is there a flavor that could represent a cornucopia? Or maybe even a flaky croissant can be marketed in such a way that makes one dream of raking leaves...then burning them to a crisp in the back yard. Alls I know, is that unlike Linus, I am anxious no longer for the Great Pumpkin, he has overstayed his welcome. I am ready to taste a new season.

No comments: