Wednesday, October 21, 2009

louisiana

I find digital photography a bit challenging when photographing fine art. Or let me put it this way: It's hard for me to trust digital to capture exactly what I see when I am taking the picture versus what I see later on either on a computer monitor or in print. Similarly I find it a challenge capturing depth, true color, and the actual emotion of the subject or scene I am photographing. Some photographers have this down. So, I am not blaming the digital process, but am saying precisely I have a hard time with this. Everyday I'm learning. Everyday I'm making small discoveries, experiments to improve upon these things so one day I'll trust myself to digital just as much as I trust myself to film. The photograph below, I commend myself on. I feel like that's exactly what I captured on that cloudy day in Louisiana, an old barn, stained with algae, mold, and age. It standing there for who knows how long, but not nearly as long as the tree has stood, huge and majestic, spanning an area nearly twice as big as the barn. This photograph I absolutely love. I think it's beautiful. It tells a little story of the area, old barns, damp skies, green, green, green everything. I love it. Posting it here doesn't even do it the slightest bit of justice. It needs to be viewed life sized on the wall in an empty museum room where all you can see or feel is the grass the barn rests on, the misting rain on your face.

No comments: